Sunday, September 30, 2007

I don't want to write...

about facts anymore. Facts become true and then become untrue over time.

"These are the facts and they are not in dispute." That was the famous line of Capt. Jack Ross (Kevin Bacon) in the movie A Few Good Men. Such agreement is rarely attained.

The relevance of Captain Ross's facts were altered by the end of the movie.

I am intellectually inadequate. My facts always seem more dated than the facts of others: My facts less important, less relevant, less poignant. I am not sufficiently well-read on any topic regardless of how much effort I expend. I am just not good enough.

Sometimes I wonder if Stephen Colbert has not got it right.

So I stick to writing stuff about stuff. My approach allows me license to selectively use facts without putting myself in a position where I could be proved wrong. I adhere to the realm of the subjunctive and the Utopian, like:
          "that could be true...
                    ...in a parallel universe."

************************************************************************

I used to be funny. Now I am tired. I used to read to absorption all the news everyday. Now I skim some headlines. I used to think facts were real. Now I know they are often no more enduring than the weather.

Thank you, Perry Howard.

I would rather write about history or politics or a story about the death of a friend.

I would rather write where I can avoid the fluctuations of interpretation associated with facts.

I would rather
    just
       make
         stuff
            up.

No comments: