Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fifty Times. Plus One.


Fifty times I've stood, this angle, staring at the sun
Watching the wizened ravens claw their jet black reflection
Ever closer across the contrailed sky
It waxes more distant and weakened to my
Tired eyes, reddened and moist from dried up dreams
Face wrinkled and hair peppered gray
Shifting my weight from one weary leg to the other
Hoping the lesson is truth
On Sundays the poise I imagined evaporated
June repressed an earlier montage of color with a scaly, scalding green
And burned off the remnants of the sweet blossoms of spring
How many more times at this angle to stare at the sun
How many more claw marks will etch the shallows of these eyes
I could have walked away from fifty suns or the next one
Were I were older in my heart or younger in my soul
Were the sky darker
If hard were too hard
If the winter never turned to spring
With its aroma of petals soaked in their nectar and dew
If my autumn were never emblazoned in deep auburn joy
Fused with torrential shards of gold
Splayed across these mountainous waves
I could have walked away from fifty suns
In confusion and rage, tears and laughter, real or feigned
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps
Were I and I another
Certain is 
I shall face the light if it comes

just reread this. it's kinda gross. (11 april 2014)

No comments: