Sunday, November 25, 2007

I am trying to decide...

... who to vote for in the primary.

I like Ron Paul. I mostly like how he highlights the schizophrenia inherent in the coalition structure of the Republican party. His Honor, the good Guiliani, also illustrates the prostitution of the evangelical vote to her wealthy capitalist-Republican spouse. I wish them both the best in that endeavor.

On the Democratic side, there are a couple of principled choices, and a couple of strategic options. Kucinich, Richardson and Dodd are good, principled policy choices. Richardson could do the veep thing. None of them are likely contenders.

The real choices are Clinton, Obama and Edwards. I could live with any of them in a general election.

I voted for Edwards in the last primary. His message is solid. I still like him.

I like Hilary well enough, but she has allowed herself to be coopted by big money. She is also forced to appear a little too hawkish on national security issues to counter the "woman as soft" criticism. She has moved a little beyond my comfort zone in these two spaces. I still think she is clear thinker when she is allowed to think.

Obama is a refreshing change and he seems honorable. He has about as much experience as Edwards. He has pizazz. I think he is "for real."

Gore-Edwards? I like the sound of that. Alas, no comfort there. Al has just joined some venture capital firm. I wish he had invested in the election instead.

We have pretty good choices this election cycle.

I
    wish
       more
           of the choices
        were
               real.

No comments: